Saturday, August 4, 2012

It's My Blog and I'll Cry if I Want To

So you may remember when I got my new, awesome running shoes that I was so excited to run the marathon in. Well, as soon as I started to slowly ease myself into them, I started having all kinds of problems. Because I was easing into them SO slowly I never would have contributed the problems to the shoes. Little twinges here and there, sore in weird places, blisters, my right foot (the one that hasn't been broken three times) started really hurting. I've taken time off here and there and have found that these things have come and gone, for the most part. But the past month or so I've been having the weirdest experience, during my runs my right foot would hit the ground WAY harder than the left. My right hip would bother me sometimes. The worst part has been the odd nagging pain I've had in lower half of my right leg. Some runs it would feel like my leg was going to give out under me as I ran. Sometimes it wouldn't hurt while I was running, but as soon as I stopped it would go weak and leave me limping for an hour or more. I ran my first long run in those shoes two weeks. Eleven strong miles, but with the weakness and pain coming and going throughout. Then I spent the rest of the week in agony and wound up having another forced step back week. Desperate to avoid another weekend in a waiting room to get yet another set of x- rays done, I went in and got fitted for shoes at Fleet Feet (they really are wonderful by the way) and found out that a great deal of my problems could likely be stemming from the fact that I have been running in really cute shoes that are totally wrong for me. I've always been an Asics fan and was nervous to be put into a pair of Brooks, but as I've been wearing them an icing my shins I've had less problems. This week i ran one 3 miler, biked 23 intense miles in a group cycling class and then ran 6 miles the next day. Hoping to get in a good 12 mile run tomorrow morning with out any problems during or after.

Can I just say that this has been much harder than I expected it to be? Well, it has. Our lives are completely nuts, our schedule is always hectic, there have been wonderful people to donate to the fundraiser ( the whole reason I'm publicly running this marathon instead of floundering privately), but then long stretches with no donations at all. my husband spends a lot of time watching kids for me to run or go get x-rays. For a good several months now the only person who has asked about my training is my kids pediatrician and then a friend I ran with this week. Long runs on Sunday aren't really something I would have chosen to do and are very lonely since none of my running partners can/will do a Sunday morning. It's hot. And humid. And most frustrating of all is how this is something that consumes so much time, energy and effort all while half the time I'm wondering if the new injury of the week will prevent me from even attempting to run the marathon. I will have a really excellent, strong run followed by random terrible pain in a leg or a slammed toe that's still hurting a month later. I pictured training for my first full marathon as this beautiful experience, just like training for my first half, but it hasn't been. I'm Praying this week will be a turn around for my attitude and my injuries and that I can find the time and energy to pick up the fundraising end again. Some advice: if you know someone crazy enough to train for any type of physical activity, ask how it's going. Pretend to care and understand all of the crazy things they'll tell you about. If you are the person crazy enough to train for the physical activity, surround yourself with a strong support system. I am so blessed to have the most amazing husband. He watches kids, doesn't complain about spaghetti or frozen pizza on nights I run for an hour or more, and really honestly does believe I am somehow actually going to do this. If I actually do, it will be as much his victory as mine. Find people to run with you, join a Facebook group ( I adore the Women's marathon group I'm in) for advice and support. And try to visualize the end result. Ok, I'm off to decorate a Little Mermaid cake and then up by 5am. Wish me luck, I sure do need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment