Sunday, May 3, 2009

Race for the Cure



















I know once you have kids you are supposed to only blog about the kids but.... I am really excited and so proud b/c Aarik ran his first 5k this weekend. Saturday morning Aarik and I ran in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in downtown Winston. Aarik hadn't really even trained for it and of course he still did well. I think this one may have been my worst time yet, but I ran it anyway and I am glad I did. It was really cool to do something like this together. However, my advice to others who attempt this would be: If you run with the person who normally takes your pictures try to find someone who knows how to operate a camera to take pictures on race day!! LOL My sweet sister Holly was amazing and volunteered to get up at the crack of dawn to take pics for us but had a little trouble taking pics at the finish line! I adore her for coming though; blurry pics are WAY better than no pics. Thanks Holly (and Jill) I think our times will be up in the next few days and I will probably post them then (though I would rather not put mine up as I know I added two minutes on to my last race time) We know Aarik finished at a little over 28 minutes and mine was 30 minutes and some change (I know it is shameful but I blame it on the fact that I was pregnant for three months and then had a miscarriage 2 months ago... I hope you all feel bad enough not to pick on me when I put it like that! :P )The pictures are out of order ( I think) b/c I can't remember to load them backwards. We parked a mile away b/c that was as close as we could get. The race was supposed to start at 8:45 but we wound up standing huddled together (in the midst of a nasty flu outbreak) with thousands of strangers, in the rain until around 9:30. They shot the gun, we started running, and it stopped raining. It was perfect race weather and a great course. I made the mistake of drinking quite a bit of a Redline (energy drink) b/c I was scared I couldn't run it. Unfortunately by the time we finally started running, it had worn off and did nothing but make me EXTREMELY nauseated so by the time I got to the finish line I was dry heaving and looking for a place to throw up. Luckily as soon as I stopped running I was ok. Aarik, however, did great and finished strong. As I had predicted, he is now hooked and we are hoping this will be our new hobby as a couple.

3 comments:

  1. Great hobby to do together! Just come run over to my house and we will have ice cream!!! Haha kind of defeats the purpose huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!!!! I'm trying to talk Josh into running the Running of the Lights on New Years Eve with me. That's going to be my first race post-baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica - I'm so glad you found my blog! And I don't know if you saw my reply to your comment, but as soon as I told Rob about Red Caboose Hot Dogs, he was out the door and went today! haha! He loved it!

    Good job on your run!! If you ever want a running partner, let me know!

    By the way, I love having Konner in Sunbeams. He is so so cute (and holy cow, he's smart!)

    ReplyDelete